Lass o' Gowrie in Dundee Harbour
"Lass o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0849
The "Lass o' Gowrie" was a 128-ton iron paddle steamer built for David Edwards, a celebrated character in Dundee's nautical life by J T Eltringham of South Shields in 1883. She was 106 feet long.
This photograph, by the Dundee jute mill manager Alexander Wilson, shows the vessel in King William IV Dock, Dundee Harbour, with the eastern tower of the Royal Arch at the lefthand side and the spire of St Paul's Cathedral in the background.
Sailings of the "Lass o' Gowrie" were advertised in the local press and the Piper O' Dundee. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes several tickets for trips to Perth as well as a brochure (Box 245(5)).
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.