Kyles in Dundee Harbour
"Kyles" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0846
This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson, a Dundee-based amateur, and shows the iron screw steamer, "Kyles", built by J. Fullerton and Co., of Paisley, in 1872.
She was owned by Mr J C Taylor of Newcastle, had a gross tonnage of 80 and measured 82.9 feet in length. She is berthed in the Tidal Basin, with the sailing ships in the King William Dock (the Royal Arch of 1848 can also be seen).
The "Kyles" is not listed in Lloyds Register for 18989, so she may have been broken up not long after this photograph was taken. The tall spire ni the background is that of St Paul's Cathedral.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.