Flying Scud and Bonnie Dundee in Dundee Harbour
"Flying Scud" and "Bonnie Dundee" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0828
The "Flying Scud" was an iron paddle steam tug, built in 1877 by Jones, Neath Abbey of Briton Ferry for the Swansea company R. Rosser. She was designed for training purposes, but was registered at Dundee in 1892 as a 'steam trawler', serial DE 48.
The "Bonnie Dundee" was a wooden paddle steamer, built by A. and J. F. Scott of Montrose in 1890 for James Tares of Dundee, and was registered there on 24th July of that year. She had a gross tonnage of 28 and was 57 feet long.
The registery was closed on 4th July 1911, the vessel having been converted into a pleasure house boat, and a certificate no longer being required.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.