Flying Eagle in docks, Dundee
"Flying Eagle" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0827
The "Flying Eagle" was a twin screw steel steam tug, built by the Dundee firm, W. B. Thompson and Co., Ltd., in 1890 for the Clyde Shipping Co., of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 347 and measured 145 feet in length.
She had a large bunker capacity, which allowed her to tow in deep sea conditions. She is seen here in the West Graving Dock around the time of her sea trials. The spire of Dundee's St Paul's Cathedral can be seen at the righthand side.
She underwent several changes of name and ended up under the Egyptian flag, working as a cargo ship, the "Express" in Alexandria. She foundered on 19th April 1946, having sprung a leak.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.