Blythswood, Indore, Euterpe
"Blythswood", Indore", "Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref:WC0819
The "Blythswood" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by R. Duncan and Co., of Port Glasgow in 1875 for R. Shankland and Co., Greenock. She had a gross tonnage of 1691 and was 259.8 feet in length.
The "Indore" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton on Tees in 1885 for the Liverpool company, Eyre, Evans and Co. Her gross tonnage was 2146 and she was 279 feet long.
The "Euterpe" was built by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., for B. Wencke Soehne of Hamburg in 1884. Her gross tonnage was 2052 and she was 290.7 feet long. All three ships brought jute from the Indian subcontinent to Dundee in 1888.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.