Euterpe in Dundee Docks
"Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0817
The "Euterpe" visited the port of Dundee on at least five separate occasions, bringing cargo of raw jute to be processed in the city's mills. From 1887-92, only 1889 has no recorded visit.
The "Euterpe" was built in 1884 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., for the German company, B. Wencke Soehne of Hamburg. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 and measured 290.7 feet in length.
The iron four-masted barque is seen here on the north side of the Victoria Dock (one of three major docks in Dundee at that time), where she was most likely undergoing the survey which took place in Dundee in 1888.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.