Euterpe in Dundee Docks
"Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0816
The "Euterpe" was an iron four-masted barque, built at Barrow in Furness by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., in 1884 for B. Wencke Soehne of Hamburg in Germany. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 was 290.7 feet in length.
She made five recorded visits to Dundee, bringing jute from Calcutta and Chittagong for processing in the city's mills. Her fastest passage from Calcutta was 99 days (in 1892) and her slowest 123 (in 1887).
She is seen in this Alexander Wilson photograph on the north side of Dundee Harbour's Victoria Dock. In 1888, the ship was surveyed prior to returning to Calcutta, so this image may date from then.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.