Crona in Dundee Docks

ref: wc0803

"Crona" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC 0803

It appears that the original caption for this Alexander Wilson photograph is inaccurate and the vessel in question was the "Croma".

She was built by J. L. Thompson and Co., of Sutherland, in 1883 from Croma Ship Co., Ltd., managed by Dent and Co., of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

With a gross tonnage of 3187, she was one of the larger ships to visit the port of Dundee, and she was 330.3 feet in length. No record has thus far been found for such a visit.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.