Cressy in Dundee Docks

in
ref: wc0801

"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC 0801

"Cressy" was the name given to this vessel in 1941 when a ship called H. M. S. Unicorn was launched in Belfast. The "Cressy" arrived in Dundee on 8th November 1873 as H. M. S. Unicorn to serve the Royal Navy Reserve to replace the "Brilliant".

On arrival at Dundee, the deck was fitted with roofing so that the Reservists could carry our their drills whatever the weather. Over a five year period, they had to do 28 days of service, generally as four lots of seven days.

Conceived as a double-decked frigate, the vessel arrived with two large guns on the gun deck and four 32-pounders on the starboard side and four 64-pounders on the port side. More details regarding the "Unicorn" can be found on its own specific website.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.