Balmoral in Dundee Docks

ref: wc0776

"Balmoral" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0776

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Balmoral" on the north side of Dundee Harbour's Camperdown Dock. This three-masted full-rigged ship was built at Liverpool by T. Royden and Sons in 1887 for Macvicar, Marshall and Co., of Liverpool.

She had a gross tonnage of 2045, and was 276.2 feet long. At least four voyages are recorded between Dundee and the Indian subcontinent (three times to Chittagong, now in Bangladesh, and once to Calcutta), the last in 1893.

She carried between 2000 and 2400 tons of jute for processing in the Dundee mills, taking between 103 and 155 days for the journey from the east. She was grounded in September 1891 at Johnshaven (as reported in the Dundee Advertiser).


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.