Argyle in Dundee Docks
"Argyle" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0770
This pleasure steamer was built on the Clyde, but was commanded by Captain David Edwards for the Dundee and Perth Steamboat Company for 14 years. She was licenced to carry 700 passengers and replaced the formerly very successful Lass O' Gowrie.
The Piper O' Dundee of 24th July 1895 lists sailings of the "Argyle" during the Dundee Holidays, which included mainly Newburgh (on the south side of the River Tay towards Perth), but also Montrose, the Bell Rock and the East Neuk. No prices are given.
Her collision with "Princess of Wales" at Newburgh in 1893 was adjudged to have been the other skipper's fault, and Edwards successfully defended the £50 damages trial.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.