Argyle in Dundee Docks
"Argyle" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0769
68 feet long and with a nine-foot beam, the "Argyle", described in contemporary reports as a "smooth-water excursion boat", came into service in 1890, bought from a company in Glasgow.
She was one of eight boats owned by Captain David Edwards, who seems to have been a rather colourful character - one of his rivals cut his mooring ropes with an axe when Edwards refused to allow him to berth.
Another incident saw him collide with another steamer, "Princess of Wales", at Newburgh, which resulted in a legal case, which Edwards successfully defended.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.