Ardencraig in Dundee
"Ardencraig" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0768
The "Ardencraig" was built in 1886 by Russel & Co., of Greenock for Edmiston and Mitchell of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 2153 and was 277.7 feet long.
She was a three-masted iron ship, with square rigging on all three masts. She was registered in Glasgow and on at least four occasions brought jute to Dundee (three times from Calcutta and once from Chittagong), once arriving on 20th February 1889.
Her clean appearance might suggest that she had been recently dry docked and freshly painted after the 120 day passage from Calcutta, the fastest recorded in the Dundee Yearbooks.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.