Wellgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0683
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the junction of the south end of Dundee's Wellgate with Panmure Street, leading west to the left, Cowgate leading eastwards, and Murraygate, which runs south westerly behind the camera.
The clothier on the lefthand corner (No. 2 Wellgate and Nos. 20-22 Panmure Street) was McDonald and Co. At No. 8 Wellgate were the coffee and dining rooms belonging to Henry Robertson. In the distance you can just make out the steps leading to Hilltown.
No. 5 Wellgate was W. Crichton's wines and spirits shop, J and W Kerr's boot shop was at No. 3. Nathaniel Sutton, mantle manufacturer was at No. 1.James Cunningham owned the News Box at No. 1 Cowgate. Rattray & Co were hatters at No. 127 Murraygate.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.