Panmure Street, Dundee
Panmure Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0520
The central focus of this photograph is Dundee's Royal Exchange, which now houses the city's Chamber of Commerce, which is located on the corner of Panmure Street with Meadowside.
The Royal Exchange was built in 1854-5 to plans by David Bryce. They had to be dramatically revised when it was discovered that the building had tilted on its foundations due to the marshy foundation. The ornate tower design was abandoned.
The building to its left was a market hall, built by the Directors of the Chamber of Commerce. The architect was John Murray Robertson, 'the most progressive of the late Victorian[s]' (David M. Walker: Architects and architecture in Dundee 1770-1914).
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.