Panmure Street, Dundee
Panmure Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0519
This photograph shows Dundee's Panmure Street running into Meadowside, with the railings and bushes in the central 'island' area where the Albert Institute was built in 1865-7 to plans by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
The building with the tower and flagpole is the Royal Exchange, built in 1854-5 to plans (three times revised) by David Bryce. The building tilted in its marshy foundation and to prevent a collapse, the ornate tower was replaced by a Gothic parapet.
In the left foreground is the market built by the Directors of the Chamber of Commerce, laid on broad beds of concrete 'to meet the requirements of the bad foundation' as the local newspaper reported it.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.