Hunter Street, Dundee

ref: wc0326

Hunter Street, Dundee (west side) - Ref: WC0326

Modern-day Hunter Street is an insignificant little road linking the Hawkhill to the Dundee University campus, brightened up only by public art in the form of a sculpture of a cello bridge.

None of the shops is readily identifiable, though it is reasonable to assume that the 'egg & butter store' is a branch of William Low's grocery chain, since they had a shop in the locality for over 15 years.

Chalmers' Territorial Chapel, built in 1852 to cater for the pastoral needs of the 'destitute locality', as the Dundee Advertiser puts it. The church's second minister, William Arnott Stirling, drowned while bathing in Broughty Ferry in 1864, aged 39.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.