Lindsay Street, Dundee

ref: wc0319

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0319

This photograph shows the eastern side of the northern part of Lindsay Street in Dundee, running northwards. The identifiable businesses first match entries in the Dundee Directory of 1905-06, when Miss J. Buchanan is listed at No. 22.

The Salvation Army barracks (Citadel No. 2) stood between William Fenwick, the plumber at No. 11, and the Panmure Dairy. J. & A. Wilson, the wireworkers, were at No. 27.

Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection 190 (6) includes various documents relating to the Salvation Army in Dundee, including a review by General Booth in 1882. These also include a request (from the Lindsay Street barracks) for £25 to meet their costs.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.