High Street, Dundee
High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0301
The south side of High Street is shown in this photograph, between Sinclair & Ewing, which stands at the northern end of Crichton Street, and the Town House.
According their advertisement in the Dundee Directory of 1894-95, Sinclair & Ewing (at No. 28 High Street - they opened a second shop at No. 35 Nethergate in 1899) were 'furnishing ironmongers'.
Their stock included 'kitchen ranges, open and close, from all the best makers', bedsteads and bedding, and travelling trunks. Among smaller items they stocked were Farrar's Isobel patent ivorine pastry rollers at 2s and 2/6 (10p and 13p respectively).
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.