High Street, Dundee
High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0240
Crichton Street leads southwards to the left of this photograph, which shows the join of High Street (the building bearing J. B. Hurrie's name) and Nethergate, as well as the top of Whitehall Street.
Hurrie, despite the road sign on the front of the shop, is always given in the Dundee Directory as Nethergate. The business moved to new premises in July 1888.
A description of the business is given on p. 10 of The Wizard of the North for 28th July 1888.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.