High Street, Dundee

ref: wc0218

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0218

This photograph shows the east end of Dundee High Street, with the Clydesdale Bank at the left, Commercial Street and Seagate in the distance.

The tower of St Paul's Cathedral stands over the North British Hotel.

The Royal Bank of Scotland stands at the head of Castle Street, with Tindal's Wynd leading down to the west of the building. As well as the bank, the photographer James Valentine and others occupied the upper floors.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.