High Street, Dundee

ref: wc0215

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0215

This photograph shows Dundee High Street running westwards in the left, with Melville House at the east end of Church Lane at the left and Overgate leading east at the right.

The central building is dominated by the billboards of McArthur, Son and Co, who had an office above Whytock & Sons, goldsmiths and jewellers.

Alexander R. Tulloch's hattery was No. 50 High Street, with William Bayne "housefactor", John Kemp the printer, James Ferguson an engineer and no fewer than three sheriff-officers listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 51.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.