Butcher Row, Dundee
Butcher Row, Dundee - Ref: WC0012
Butcher Row was so called because of the Flesh Market which was established in the street in 1775. Butcher Row ran from the bottom of Union Street to the Greenmarket (located at the foot of Crichton Street)
This area disappeared with the development of Whitehall Street and Whitehall Crescent, along with much of the medieval burgh of Dundee, in 1883.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.