Royal Arch, North Side, Dundee - Ref: WC1284
This photograph shows The Royal Arch, a monument erected in 1848 to celebrate a visit by the Queen four years previously, the first by a monarch since the 17th century. Designed by Rochhead of Glasgow, it cost £2270.
Described as a 'splendid triumphal arch, 80 feet across' and 'in the Norman style', the structure was demolished in early 1964 to make way for the approach roads to the Tay Road Bridge. It finally fell on 16th March - when it was dynamited.