Horse/Cart/Carriage

Photographs of Horses and carts

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street (east), Dundee - Ref: WC0141

This photograph is taken looking north from Dundee's harbour area, with the eastern section of Dock Street to the left and Trade's Lane leading northwards in the centre.

David S. Bryson, the oil and paint merchant, had stores at Nos. 43, 45 and 47 Trades Lane. The Dundee Directory for 1888-89 describes him as 'oil merchant and importer and refiner, Victoria oil paint and varnish stores'. He lived at No. 13 Park Avenue.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0141

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0148

This photograph shows the western part of Dundee's commodities area, with Dock Street leading westwadrs to the Caledonian Railway's Dundee East Station to the left and the Greenmarket in the right foreground.

The Weigh House belonged to James Cowan & Sons, one of several slat merchants from that family. The tops of the buildings visible beyond that are in Whitehall Crescent.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0148

Euclid Crescent, Dundee

£8.25

Euclid Crescent, Dundee - Ref: WC0164

This is Euclid Crescent before the Girl's High School was built. The tenement buildings shown were built circa 1860. The Girls' school was built in 1889 and designed by J.G.Fairley.

At the time the Girls' school was remarked on as being "One of the finest and most ornate of modern structures in the city" Dundee High School is still a popular choic for fee-paying pupils to-day.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0164

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0131

This photograph reads west to east from left to right and shows Dundee's Dock Street with the Caledonian Railway Station at the extreme left.

The principal buildings in the foreground housed various salt stores. As well as the curing agent, William Brown's placards advertise whiting and chalk. To the east is the gateway to St Clement's Mission, on which no information has been found.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0131

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0132

This photograph shows part of Dundee's East Dock Street, and although the Dundee Directory for 1898-99 does not list any businesses between No. 9 and No. 15, they match those listed in previous editions.

The Salt Store at No. 11 belonged to Henry Cowan. Cowan advertises Scotch salt for its primary use at the time, curing - that is preserving meat by storing it in barrels full of dry salt. Other placards mention rock salt for bathing.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0132

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0133

This photograph shows part of the eastern section of Dundee's Dock Street, running from west to east, left to right.

The principal buildings are No. 11 a salt store belonging to Henry Cowan (one of several salters of that name in the city at the time), James Brough & Sons, fruit merchants at No. 12 and William Brown junior's salt stores.

James Brough and his son lived at 47 Commercial Street, while William Brough (who is described as a salt and whiting merchant) resided at Rosemount, Camphill, Broughty Ferry.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0133

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0135

This photograph shows the eastern part of Dundee's Dock Street, focusing on the saltstores, which would have been so popular at the time as a preservative agent, used to keep fish and meat fresh.

No. 11 belonged to Henry Cowan, No. 12 was a fruit store belonging to James Brough & Son, and No. 13 was William Brown junior's salt store. The Dundee Directory for 1893-94 lists one more Dundee salt merchant, John Cowan of 7 Craig Street.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0135

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0136

This photograph shows the western end of Dundee's Dock Street, with part of Yeaman Shore to the left and leading eastwards (and right) towards the Greenmarket.

Between A. Spence & Co.'s potato store and the salt store at No. 11 is the rear of Gilfillan Memorial Church, erected in 1879 in memory of the Dundee preacher, George Gilfillan, who died that year.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0136

Dock Street, Dundee

£8.25

Dock Street and Candle Lane, Dundee - Ref: WC0137

This photograph shows part of the eastern section of Dundee's Dock Street proper (not to be confused with East Dock Street, which is further east!) and the southern end of Candle Lane.

William B. Ballingall, the wine and spirits merchant at No. 55, was the eldest brother of Hugh Ballingall, Lord Provost of Dundee, a brewer, malter and hop merchant, owner of The Park and Pleasance Brewery, Lochee Road.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0137
Syndicate content