People and Portraits

Photographs of people and portraits

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0892

Built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, the "Puri" was launched on 19th October 1895 by Miss Bell of Dunfermline (Yard No. 165). She had a gross tonnage of 936.

She was intended as a pilgrim carrier between Calcutta and Chandballi, but was rapidly outmoded by the development of rail travel. She was finally scrapped in July 1910, and removed from registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0892

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0893

Weighing 936 tonnes, this twin screw steam ship was built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, for a company in Calcutta, India, which hoped to use it to ferry pilgrim passengers.

She was sold on in 1903 to Shepherd and Co., Bombay, when railway became the primary means of transport in the area. She was scrapped in July 1910. But only removed from shipping registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0893

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0898

The "Riga" in this photograph by Alexander Wilson (there were several vessels of that name in Lloyd's Register, but none seems to match) was a wooden two masted schooner, registered in the Norwegian port of Stavanger.

She is pictured in the north west corner of Dundee's King William IV Dock, near the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate the visit in 1844 of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0898

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0899

This photograph, which comes from the private collection of a Dundee jute factory manager, Alexander Wilson, shows a wooden two-masted schooner, the "Riga" in the north west corner of King William IV Docks in the city's harbour.

The other two vessels in the dock are unidentified, that at the lefthand side being a topsail schooner and the other an early puffer or coastal steamer. Behind them is Dock Street, with the City Assembly Rooms of 1828 just right of centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0899

Peter der Grosse in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Peter der Grosse" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0886

"Peter der Grosse" was an iron screw steamer, built at Kiel in 1872 for the Russian St Peterburger Dampfschifffahrtgesellschaft. She had a gross tonnage of 846 and measured 199 feet in length.

This photograph by the Dundee-based Alexander Wilson shows the "Peter der Grosse" in the Earl Grey Dock, alongside the twenty ton steam crane, which was possibly used to discharge the cargo of flax brought from Reval on two occasions in 1891.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0886

Lass o' Gowrie at Perth

£8.25

"Lass o' Gowrie" at Perth - Ref: WC0850

The "Lass o' Gowrie" was an iron paddle steamer, built at South Shields in 1883 by J T Eltringham for the Dundee sea captain, David Edwards. This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the vessel probably in Perth with the railway bridge to the left.

Sailings of the "Lass o' Gowrie" were regularly listed in the local press, including the Piper O' Dundee. She ran regularly between Dundee, Newburgh and Perth, with occasional extra stops, including Broughty Ferry.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0850

Lass o' Gowrie in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Lass o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0851

The "Lass o' Gowrie" was a 138 ton iron paddle steamer, built in 1883 by J T Eltringham of South Shields for David Edwards, a well-known Dundonian sea captain. She ran a route from Dundee to Perth via Newburgh.

This photograph, shows the "Lass o' Gowrie" in the Tidal Basin at Dundee Harbour, berthed near a warehouse called Stephens Buildings.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0851

Lass o' Gowrie in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Las o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0852

The "Lass o' Gowrie" was an iron paddle steamer with a gross tonnage of 128 and measuring 106 feet in length. She was built for David Edwards of Dundee by the South Shields company, J T Eltringham in 1883.

She sailed a pleasure route from Dundee to Perth via newburgh (on the south bank of the River Tay) with occasional detours via Broughty Ferry and sometimes with extra stops.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0852

Flying Scud and Bonnie Dundee in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Flying Scud" and "Bonnie Dundee" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0828

The "Flying Scud" was an iron paddle steam tug, built in 1877 by Jones, Neath Abbey of Briton Ferry for the Swansea company R. Rosser. She was designed for training purposes, but was registered at Dundee in 1892 as a 'steam trawler', serial DE 48.

The "Bonnie Dundee" was a wooden paddle steamer, built by A. and J. F. Scott of Montrose in 1890 for James Tares of Dundee, and was registered there on 24th July of that year. She had a gross tonnage of 28 and was 57 feet long.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0828

English Mechanic at Broughty Ferry

£8.25

"English Mechanic" at Broughty Ferry - Ref: WC0815

The "English Mechanic" was launched at Dundee's King William IV Dock on 5th June 1876. She was brought to Dundee by rail, and transported from Dundee West Station on a cradle. She is seen sitting on the beach at Broughty Ferry.

From they she was rowed to Broughty Ferry, lying to the east of Dundee on the Firth of Tay. She was named, launched and called to her first rescue mission on the same day.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0815
Syndicate content