Fife

Photographs of the Fife area

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3017

With the spires of the Trinity UF church in the background this photo at pierhead shows children in their Sunday best possibly making their way to the Mission Hall just out of the picture to the right.

Young's cycle shop can also be seen in this picture to the left.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3017

Norwood Terrace, Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

Norwood Terrace, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3036

Norwood Terrace, Newport-on-Tay. Splendid example of Victorian architecture were among the better houses of the burgh affording beautiful views across the River Tay.

Norwood Terrace, often owned by manufacturers from Dundee who found it easy to commute .


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3036

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3018

This view from the River Tay shows the Mission Hall, smiddy and Young's Cycle shop to the reqqr. The water wheel was situated in the gully below the High Road.

John T Young established the bicycle repair business, his son Willy worked the smiddy.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3018

Norwood Terrace, Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

Norwood Terrace, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3037

Norwood Terrace, Newport-on-Tay. Overlooking the railway station these fine Victorian houses were built mainly for the middle class of Dundee.

The houses had a wonderful view over the River Tay and their owners used the "Fifies"to commute to and from Dundee.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3037

Post Office, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Post Office, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3019

Newport-on-Tay, Pierhead. This photo shows the premises of Alex Anderson, watchmaker and jeweller, the Post Office, Fentons painter and paperhanger.

The Mission Hall and smiddy which was powered by the water wheel. The smiddy was owned by Tayfield. Willie Young, son of John T. Young (cycle business) worked the smiddy.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3019

Newport-on-Tay, Bay and Ferry Landing.

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay, Bay and Ferry landing - Ref: WC3038

Newport-on-Tay, bay and ferry landing. In the early 1800s the ferry service to both Newport and Woodhaven were thriving. In 1816 92,000 passengers used the Newport crossing.

In 1821 the first steamship "the Union" was introduced . In 1823 work started on a new pier to design of Thomas Telford. The ferries were looked after by the Tay Ferries Trust.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3038

Post Office, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Post Office, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3020

Newport-on-Tay Post Office. Postie "Anderson" ran the Post Office. Mail arrivals 6.20 a.m. 9.10a.m. 3.20p.m. 6.20p.m.

On weekdays the Post Office is open for Postal Business from 7a.m. to 8p.m.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3020

General view, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

General view, Newport-0n-Tay - Ref: WC3039

Newport-on-Tay. General view of Newport including the spires and turrets of Trinity U.F. Church. At the beginning of the 19th Century probably only twenty cottages made up the village of Newport with a population of around 100.

As the ferry service developed so did the village. By the middle of the century Newport was becoming a dormitory suburb of Dundee and also a convenient holiday resort for Dundee's businessmen.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3039

School, Newport-on-Tay

£8.25

School, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3021

This spacious new school was opened in 1879 next to the Blyth Hall. This replaced the William Street School. Until 1949 this school provided a full education, covering all subjects until third year. After which pupils traveled to Dundee.

Newport-on-Tay School original building was extended in 1927 when the part of the building towards Scott St. was added.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3021

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3041

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-on-Tay. The view is from Hillside Place (close to its junction with Cupar Road); the church stood at the crossroads of Hillside Place, William Street, King Street and Gowrie Street. Victorian children in the picture dressed in their Sunday best. The church was built in 1843 and demolished in 1981.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3041
Syndicate content