Fife

Photographs of the Fife area

School, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

School, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3023

Newport-on-Tay school opened in 1879 next to the Blyth Hall. This building replaced the William Street School. The original building was extended in 1927 when the part of the building towards Scott St. was added.

Newport-on-Tay school . The original building was extended in 1927 when the part of building towards Scott Street was added.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3023

Blyth Hall, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Blyth Hall, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3043

Blyth Hall, Newport-on-Tay. One of the finest 19th Century buildings in Newport, used as a public meeting place. The hall was gifted to the people of Newport by Mrs.Blyth-Martin of East Newport in memory of her three brothers, Henry, Thomas and Charles Blyth.

The hall was opened in 1877. In 1890 an extension was added at the rear to include municipal offices. The supervision of the hall was taken over by the town council in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3043

High Street, Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

High Street, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3024

Newport-on-Tay, High Street 1898. Looking along the High Street on either early-closing day or a Sunday. The shops are Kirk and Coutts, ironmongers, next door at number 12 is J.Learmouth and Son bootmakers.

High St. Newport shows Mrs Fergusons's, greeengrocer and poultry dealer at number 14. Thomas Rogers tea warehouse is also visible.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3024

North Street, St Andrews

£8.25

St Andrews - Ref: WC3084

St Andrews North Stret. The old fishing quarter was at the east end where small traditiional houses still exist.

This street with its cobbles and bare-footed children was obviously a poorer part of the town.


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3084

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3025

Kinbrae House, Newlport-on-Tay. In 1870 many large villas were erected on the hill overlooking the Tay. One of the most notable of these is Kinbrae, a Scottish baronial mansion completed in 1872.

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay completed in 1872 from designs by the late Mr. Heaton of Perth for Sir John Leng of the Dundee Advertiser and also founder of the Evening Telegraph.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3025

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3026

Kinbrae House, Newlport-on-Tay. In 1870 many large villas were erected on the hill overlooking the Tay. One of the most notable of these is Kinbrae, a Scottish baronial mansion completed in 1872.

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay was one of many large villas built in 1870 on the hill overlooking the Tay built from designs from Mr. Heiton of Perth

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3026

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3027

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay in a Wintry setting, showing the magnificent gates and side gate. Built for Sir John Leng of the Dundee Advertiser from designs by Mr.Heiton of Perth.

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay Purchased in 1955 by the Town Council for development of housing or hotel but instead demolished in 1960.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3027

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Kinbrae House, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3028

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay. Built in 1870 for Sir John Leng from designs by Heiton of Perth. Many of these baronial mansions were built in Newport. Kinbrae was demollished in 1960.

Kinbrae House, Newport-on-Tay. Purchased in 1955 by the Town Council for development of housing or hotel but instead was demolished.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3028

Kinbrae and St Serfs, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Kinbrae and St Serfs, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3029

Kinbrae House and St.Serfs, Newport-on-Tay. To the right of the photo is St.Serfs (St.Serf landed in Fife). Now a residential home, it was known as "Westwood" and was built for Harry Walker J.P. circa 1865.

St.Serfs, Newport-on-Tay a handsome mansion designed by Mr. Andrew Heiton of Perth. Harry Walker was the respected head of the firm of "Harry Walker and sons" spinners and manufacturers.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3029

Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3030

High Street, Newport-on-Tay A street comprising almost entierly of Victorian shops., including William Doig and Son,chemist, Matthew Morison,butcher, Andrew Malcolm wine and spirit merchant.

High Street, Newport-on-Tay, including George Murray,butcher, up the close is a joiners and the Robertsons drapers. At number 7 Thomas Roger, grocer and one-time Provost of Newport.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3030
Syndicate content