Fife

Photographs of the Fife area

Riverside Road, Wormit

£8.25

Riverside Road, opposite Birkhill Avenue, Wormit - Ref: WC3207

Wormit Riverside Road opposite Birkhill Avenue. A number of elegant villas splendid example of Victorian architecture owned possibly by middle-class business people who commuted from Dundee.

Wormit was a mere village with only a few houses until the North British Railway Co. established a station there.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3207

Club House, St Andrews

£8.25

Club House, St Andrews - Ref: WC3088

Royal and Ancient Club House 1854. Designed by George Rae. The Club was established in 1754 by a body of 22 gentlemen, headed by the Earls of Elgin and Wemyss.

The 1890s saw a tremendous expansion of golfing facilities to try to keep pace with demand, the R & A alone having over 800 members.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3088

Fountain on braes, Newport

£8.25

Fountain on braes, Newport - Ref: WC3208


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3208

St Andrews Castle

£8.25

St Andrews Castle - Ref: WC3089

The ruins of St Andrew's Castle stand on a rocky promontory overhanging the sea, not far from the ruins of the Cathedral which date from the 12th Century.

In 1801, the sea claimed the three-storey east range and with it the massive circular South East blockhouse.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3089

Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3030

High Street, Newport-on-Tay A street comprising almost entirely of Victorian shops., including William Doig and Son,chemist, Matthew Morison,butcher, Andrew Malcolm wine and spirit merchant.

High Street, Newport-on-Tay, including George Murray,butcher, up the close is a joiners and the Robertson's drapers. At number 7 Thomas Roger, grocer and one-time Provost of Newport.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3030

Rowing boats, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Rowing boats, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3015

Rowing boats on the River Tay. The men in their top hats and women in their finery suggest that they were maybe out for a Sunday afternoon trip on the River.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3015

Houses from railway station, Newport-on-Tay

in
£8.25

Houses from railway station, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3034

Houses from railway station, Newport, 1818. Norwood Terrace, splendid Victorian houses were among the better houses of the burgh, affording beautiful views across the River Tay.

The Victorian houses in Norwood Terrace were often inhabited by the middle and upper classes of Dundee often manufacturers

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3034

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3016

Newport-on-Tay, Pierhead. This photo shows Boat Road looking East. The first building on the near right is J.W.Fenton, painter and paperhanger, next door is the Post Office.

Adjoining the Post Office is the Mission Hall and smiddy.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3016

Houses from railway station, Newport-On-Tay

in
£8.25

Houses from railway station, Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3035

Norwood Terrace, Newport-on-Tay, Fine example of Victorian architecture with bow-fronted windows often owned by manufacturers from Dundee who commuted over the River Tay by the "Fifies"

Norwood Terrace over looking the railway. Easy to commute from and to Dundee and Edinburgh.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3035

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3017

With the spires of the Trinity UF church in the background this photo at pierhead shows children in their Sunday best possibly making their way to the Mission Hall just out of the picture to the right.

Young's cycle shop can also be seen in this picture to the left.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3017
Syndicate content