Fife

Photographs of the Fife area

Woodhaven, Wormit

in
£8.25

Woodhaven, Wormit - Ref: WC3205

The village and pier of Woodhaven was the northern starting point for the coach across Fife to Pettycur by way of the Flass Road. The pier at Woodhaven was until the 19th Century the most important ferry landing for journeys to Dundee.

The large house in the background was the old granary buildings owned by the Tayfield Estate, and served as a hospital for boys from the "Mars" training ship.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3205

West Port, St Andrews

in
£8.25

West Port, St Andrews - Ref: WC3087

West Port built in 1589. The best extant example in Scotland. Central archway flanked by semi-octagonal "rounds" and "battling". Side arches and relief panels (West David I, East City Arms) were added during 1843-5 reconstruction.

Within its generous medieval plan the town of St Andrews provided the infrastructure for these institutions of religion, government and learning.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3087

Woodhaven, Wormit

£8.25

Woodhaven, Wormit - Ref: WC3206

The village and pier of Woodhaven was the starting point for the coach across Fife. The pier at Woodhaven was until the 19th century the most important ferry landing for journeys to Dundee.

Woodhaven pier. The large house in the background was the old granary building owned by Tayfield Estate and served as a hospital for the "Mars" training ship.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3206

Club House, St Andrews

£8.25

Club House, St Andrews - Ref: WC3088

Royal and Ancient Club House 1854. Designed by George Rae. The Club was established in 1754 by a body of 22 gentrlemen, headed by the Earls of Elgin and Wemyss.

The 1890s saw a tememdous expansion of golfing facilities to try to keep pace with demand, the R & A alone having over 800 members.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3088

Riverside Road, Wormit

£8.25

Riverside Road, opposite Birkhill Avenue, Wormit - Ref: WC3207

Wormit Riverside Road opposite Birkhill Avenue. A number of elegant villas splendid example of Victorian architecture owned posibly by middle-class business people who commuted from Dundee.

Wormfit was a mere village with only a few houses until the North British Railway Co. established a station there.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3207

St Andrews Castle

£8.25

St Andrews Castle - Ref: WC3089

The ruins of St Andrew's Castle stand on a rocky promontory overhanging the sea, not far from the ruins of the Cathedral which date from the 12th Century.

In 1801, the sea claimed the three-storey east range and with it the massive circular South East blockhouse.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3089

Fountain on braes, Newport

£8.25

Fountain on braes, Newport - Ref: WC3208


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3208

St Andrews Castle

£8.25

St Andrews Castle - Ref: WC3090

St Andrews Castle ruins date from the 12th century. The original building is said, on the authority of Martine, to have been erected by Bishop Roger (1188-1202) as an Episcopal residence.

Sir Andrew Moray of Bothwell dismantled the building, and about 1390 a new building was erected by Bishop Trail. The ruins stand amid rugged by the sea and are a popular tourist attraction.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3090

View over the river, Newport

in
£8.25

View over the river, Newport - Ref: WC3209

This is a view of Newport over the river with the Tay Bridge in the background. In the early 1800s the ferry service to both Newport and Woodhaven were thriving.

At the beginning of the 19th century only 20 cottages made up the village of Newport with a population of around 100. As the ferry service devloped so did the village.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3209

Church, St Monans

£8.25

Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3133

St Manans Church. Braehead 14th Century church standing on a cliff above the sea. The church was built by David II in 1362-70 by Sir William Dishington, Master of Works.

The Church was ruinous in 1772 but received ' partial reparation' to be followed by major restoration by William Burn in 1826-8. The present church probably occupies the site of an early chapel dedicated to the St.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3133
Syndicate content