Fife

Photographs of the Fife area

Harbour, St Andrews

£8.25

Harbour, St Andrews - Ref: WC2204

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the port in St Andrews, Fife. The original town harbour was at the mouth of the Motray burn, near what is today Guardbridge. The harbour today lies at the east end of the town beneath the cathedral ruins.

Until the 1920s, coasting vessels used to bring cargos of timber and potatoes ashore in St Andrews, but nowadays it is a minor fishing port, with some pleasure craft also using the bay for protection from the often wild North Sea.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2204

Harbour, Anstruther

£8.25

Anstruther - Ref: WC2166


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2166

Beach, Anstruther

in
£8.25

Anstruther - Ref: WC2167


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2167

Church, Anstruther

£8.25

Anstruther, church - Ref: WC2168


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2168

Harbour, Crail

£8.25

Harbour, Crail - Ref: WC1820

At one time Crail harbour was the most important port in the East Neuk of Fife. Most of the buildings found around the harbour area date from the 17th century, the largest being the former customs house.

Many of these buildings are still recogniseable today. (2001) Alongside the harbour, on the left, there is a small sandy beach where one of Crail's more unusual sights can be seen, a fossilised tree stump.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1820

Family group of millers, Springfield, Fife

£8.25

Family group of millers, Springfield, Fife - Ref: WC1723


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1723

Family group, man fishing, Springfield, Fife

£8.25

Family group, man fishing, Springfield, Fife - Ref: WC1724


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1724

Newport-On-Tay, East Railway Station

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay, East Railway Station - Ref: WC1033

At the south side of the Tay Railway Bridge was a branch line which linked Wormit, West Newport-on-Tay, East Newport-on-Tay and Tayport.

At this time, of course, there were many smaller stations than there are nowadays,. The Fife line travelled southwards to Edinburgh via a host of towns, with a second branch to St Andrews via St Fort, Leuchars junction and Guardbridge.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1033
Syndicate content