Angus

Photographs of the Angus area

Glenprosen

in
£8.25

Glenprosen - Ref: WC4195


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4195

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3137

St Vigeans Church. Dedicated to St Vigean, Irish St who died 664. The Church was rebuilt in the twelfth century but not dedicated until 1242. There were some 15th century alterations.

St Vigeans church was restored in the 19th century with lovely stained-glass windows. Long before it was built the hillock upon which it was built was used as a place of Christian burial.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3137

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3138

St Vigean's church is the "mother" church of the entire parish and of Arbroath. Long before the church was built, the hillock upon which it stands was used as a place of Christian burial.

Dedicated to St Vigean, Irish St who died 664. The church was rebuilt in the twelfth century but was not dedicated until 1242. The consecration was by Bishop David de Bernham of St Andrews.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3138

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3139

St Vigean's church named after the Irish St. The church is of red-brown sandstone common in the district, it is an 1872 restoration of an ancient fabric reaching back in part before the 1242 consecration by Bishop David de Bernhamn of St Andrews.

The church remained the sole church of the parish until 1585 or thereby when an Arbroath parish was disjoined. The graveyard is also shown on this picture.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3139

Claverhouse Castle, Trottick

£8.25

Claverhouse Memorial Castle, Trottick - Ref: WC3196


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3196

Mental Hospital, Westgreen

£8.25

Mental Hospital, Westgreen - Ref: WC3197


Westgreen Mental hospital. The farm of West Green was acquired in 1874 and a new building for both pauper and private was erected in 1880. West Green was known as the Dundee District Asylum and latterly as Dundee Royal Liff Hospital.

The Dundee District Lunacy Board was concerned with the increased number of patients resulting from the rapid growth of the city and purchased the asylum property at West Green in 1903.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3197

Panmure House

£8.25

Panmure House - Ref: WC3045

Panmure House North of Carnoustie. Built for the Earls of Panmure completed in 1686 by George the third earl.

Earl William who acquired the estates of Panmure from the York Building Co. made many alterations upon the house and grounds. The house was a large and plain building of three floors over a sunk floor.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3045

Panmure House

£8.25

Panmure House - Ref: WC3046

Panmure House, North of Carnoustie built in 1686 for the Earls of Panmure. The name Panmure thought to come from the words pant mawr meaning large hollow.

The house according to Warden of Angus is supposed to be built from plans prepared by Sir William Bruce for Earl Patrick. The erection of the house commenced about 1666.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3046

Glamis Castle

£8.25

Glamis Castle - Ref: WC2603


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2603

Glamis Castle

£8.25

Glamis Castle - Ref: WC2604


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2604
Syndicate content