Ships

Photographs depicting ships

Cressy in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref:WC0802

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows a ship which arrived in Dundee as the "H. M. S. Unicorn" on 8th November 1873 to replace the Royal Navy Reserve's "Brilliant", which was refitted at Dundee and towed to Inverness.

The name was changed to "Cressy" in 1941 when a new "Unicorn" was launched at Belfast. The original Unicorn was built at Chatham in 1824 as a double-decked frigate with 44 guns and a registered weight of 1084 tons.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0802

Cressy in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC 0801

"Cressy" was the name given to this vessel in 1941 when a ship called H. M. S. Unicorn was launched in Belfast. The "Cressy" arrived in Dundee on 8th November 1873 as H. M. S. Unicorn to serve the Royal Navy Reserve to replace the "Brilliant".

On arrival at Dundee, the deck was fitted with roofing so that the Reservists could carry our their drills whatever the weather. Over a five year period, they had to do 28 days of service, generally as four lots of seven days.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0801

Crona in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Crona" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC 0803

It appears that the original caption for this Alexander Wilson photograph is inaccurate and the vessel in question was the "Croma".

She was built by J. L. Thompson and Co., of Sutherland, in 1883 from Croma Ship Co., Ltd., managed by Dent and Co., of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

With a gross tonnage of 3187, she was one of the larger ships to visit the port of Dundee, and she was 330.3 feet in length. No record has thusfar been found for such a visit.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0803

Discovery in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Discovery" in Dundee Docks - Ref:WC0805

The "Discovery" is, without doubt, the most famous ship to be associated with Dundee. She was launched on 21st March 1901, one of the last three-masted wooden ships in Britain and the first built for scientific research in almost 300 years.

The National Antarctic Expedition of 1901-04 was the ship's first project, when she was captained by Robert Falcon Scott. She spent two winters in the southern ice, and plans had been made to abandon her, but she was finally freed on 14th February 1904.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0805

Daisy in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Daisy" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0804

The "Daisy" was an iron single-screw steamer, built in Whitby by T. Turnbull and Son. She was acquired in 1886 by Thomas Muir, Son, and Patton, a firm of Dundee coal merchants.

According to the Dundee Directory for 1887-88, the master of the ship was a certain Drummond, while the next year's entry has Cromar. Dundee Yearbook listings for voyages are given only for 1887, when she arrived on 28th June.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0804

Eclipse in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Eclipse" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0812

The "Eclipse" was a whaling ship, built in Aberdeen but bought from David Gray of Peterhead by the Dundee firm James Mitchell in 1892. She had been fitted with a new engine in 1877 by Hall, Russel and Co., of Aberdeen.

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows her in the north-east corner of Dundee's Earl Grey Dock, with the Royal Arch at the extreme lefthand side (I.e. to the north). Longboats are stacked against the foremast, presumably to save space.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0812

Cressy in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Cressy" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0800

The original caption is slightly confusing as the vessel shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph was only renamed from H. M. S. Unicorn in 1941. The "Unicorn" arrived at Dundee on 8th November 1873 to replace the Royal Navy Reserve's "Brilliant".

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0800

Elsa Auguste in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Elsa Auguste" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0813

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows a previously unidentified ship in the King William IV Dock in Dundee Harbour. The Dundee Courier for 5th September 1905 records the arrival of the "Elsa Auguste" as a visitor to the port.

Under the command of one Muischel, she had brought a cargo of oilcake from St Petersburg. Oilcake is cattle fodder, made from the residue after the oil is pressed out of seeds.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0813

Elsa Auguste in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Elsa Auguste" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0814

The local newspapers printed regular shipping reports, so from the date, the vessel can be identified as the "Elsa Auguste".

She arrived under the command of a master called Muischel from St Petersburg with a load of oilcake, a form of feed for livestock made from the residue of pressing seeds.

She is here berthed in the south east corner of Dundee's King William IV Dock, with the rear corner of the Customs House just visible at the left. No date has been established for her sailing from Dundee.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0814

Mine Layer, Dundee

in
£8.25

Mine layer, Dundee - Ref: WC4224


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4224
Syndicate content