Ships

Photographs depicting ships

Kirkcaldy or John Strachan in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Kirkcaldy" or "John Strachan" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0843

This Alexander Wilson photograph has been miscaptioned. The word Kirkcaldy is on the stern of the ship to the right, but is, in fact, the port of registry rather than the name. "John Strachan" seems the most likely identity.

A steam lighter (an early form of puffer) was built by W. Swan and Co., Glasgow, in 1885 for the Kirkcaldy, Leith and Glasgow Steam Packet Co. She was 66 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 73 tons.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0843

Kirkcudbrightshire in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Kirkcudbrightshire" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0844

The "Kirkcudbrightshire" was a three masted full-rigged sailing ship, built by Russell and Co., Greenock, in 1884 for T. Law and Co, Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 1582 and measured 250 feet in length.

She is recorded as having visited Dundee on only one occasion, arriving on 6th April 1889 after a voyage from Calcutta lasting 102 days. This Alexander Wilson photograph also shows painting stages and pontoons, where sea damage is being made good.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0844

Kirkcudbrightshire in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Kirkcudbrightshire" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0845

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "Kirkcudbrightshire", an iron three masted full-rigged sailing ship in Dundee Harbour. She arrived on 6th April 1889, having sailed from Calcutta on 24th December 1888.

She had a gross tonnage of 1582 and was 250 feet in length. She was built by Russell and Co., Greenock, for Thomas Low and Co., of Glasgow, in 1884, to be one of his fleet of 27 sailing vessels.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0845

Kyles in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Kyles" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0846

This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson, a Dundee-based amateur, and shows the iron screw steamer, "Kyles", built by J. Fullerton and Co., of Paisley, in 1872.

She was owned by Mr J C Taylor of Newcastle, had a gross tonnage of 80 and measured 82.9 feet in length. She is berthed in the Tidal Basin, with the sailing ships in the King William Dock (the Royal Arch of 1848 can also be seen).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0846

Fulwood in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Fulwood" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0829

The "Fulwood" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship built in 1885 by Oswald, Merchant and Co., of Southampton for R. W. Leyland and Co., of Liverpool.

She had a gross tonnage of 2170 and measured 279 feet in length. This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Fulwood" berthed on the north side of the city's Camperdown Dock, with the gas works in the background.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0829

Gateacre in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0830

The "Gateacre" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by William Doxford and Sons of Sunderland in 1877 for C. W. Kellock and Co., of Liverpool.

She had a gross tonnage of 1409 and was 231 feet long. This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "Gateacre" on the north side of Dundee Harbour's Victoria Dock, with the Law (the remains of an extinct volcano) between the ship's mast.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0830

Gateacre in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0831

Built in Sunderland in 1877 by William Doxford and Sons for C. W. Kellock and Co., of Liverpool, the "Gateacre" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship with a gross tonnage of 1409 and measuring 231 feet in length.

This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Gateacre" after she had been unloaded after her 153-day voyage from Chittagong (9, 506 bales of raw jute for the city's mills), berthed on the north side of the Victoria Dock.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0831

Euterpe in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0816

The "Euterpe" was an iron four-masted barque, built at Barrow in Furness by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., in 1884 for B. Wencke Soehne of Hamburg in Germany. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 was 290.7 feet in length.

She made five recorded visits to Dundee, bringing jute from Calcutta and Chittagong for processing in the city's mills. Her fastest passage from Calcutta was 99 days (in 1892) and her slowest 123 (in 1887).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0816

Euterpe in Dundee Docks

in
£8.25

"Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0817

The "Euterpe" visited the port of Dundee on at least five separate occasions, bringing cargo of raw jute to be processed in the city's mills. From 1887-92, only 1889 has no recorded visit.

The "Euterpe" was built in 1884 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., for the German company, B. Wencke Soehne of Hamburg. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 and measured 290.7 feet in length.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0817

Indore and Euterpe in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Indore" and "Euterpe" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0818

The "Indore" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton on Tees in 1885 for Eyre, Evans and Co., of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2146 and was 279 feet long.

The "Euterpe" was an iron four-masted barque built for the German company B. Wencke Soehne in 1884 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. She had a gross tonnage of 2052 and overall length of 290.7 feet.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0818
Syndicate content