Ships

Photographs depicting ships

Three Ships in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

The three ships in this photograph by Alexander Wilson are the "Loudon Hill", the "County of Linlithgow" and the "Tilkhurst" (the original caption has "Tickhurst", but this is incorrect).

All three arrived in Dundee Harbour in April 1888 with jute: The "Tilkhurst" brought 1527 tons from Chittagong, the "Loudon Hill" brought 2000 tons from Chittagong and the "County of Linlithgow" brought 2122 tons from Calcutta.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0857

Louise and Guy Mannering in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Louise" and "Guy Mannering" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0858

The "Louise", a three masted barque has so far not been identified. She was possibly a wooden ship built in Quebec in 1863 and owned at the time of this photograph by H C Mathiesen of Oslo, with a gross tonnage of 949 and measuring 166.6 feet in length.

The "Guy Mannering" was iron single screw four masted steamer, built by A Leslie and Co., of Newcastle, in 1873. She had a gross tonnage of 2842 and measured 380 feet in length.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0858

Gateacre in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Gateacre" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0832

The "Gateacre", with a gross tonnage of 1409 and measuring 231 feet in length, was built in 1877 by the Sunderland firm, William Doxford and Sons, for the Liverpool shipping company, C. W. Kellock and Co.

An iron three-masted full-rigged ship, the "Gateacre" only made on recorded visit to Dundee, arriving on 3rd April 1887 with a cargo of 9, 506 bales of raw jute from Chittagong, after a passage of 153 days.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0832

Harton Hall in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Harton Hall" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0834

This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, is most likely miscaptioned. There is no "Harton Hall" listed in Lloyd's Register at that time, but a ship called "Hutton Hall" visited Dundee on at least three occasions.

Built by W. H. Potter and Sons of Liverpool in 1884 for the Hall Shipping Co., of Liverpool, the iron three-masted full-rigged ship measured 277 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 2052.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0834

Harland in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0835

The "Harland" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton in 1885 for W. Land of London. She had a gross tonnage of 1742 and measured 250.8 feet in length. She was sold to Stuart Bros., of Glasgow in 1889.

The "Harland" arrived at Dundee Harbour on 9th May 1889 from Calcutta, with a cargo of raw jute for processing in the city's mills, the voyage having lasted 126 days. No subsequent visits are recorded.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0835

Harland in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0836

This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the "Harland" on the south side of the city's Victoria Dock, some two months after her arrival from Calcutta with a cargo of raw jute on 9th May 1889.

With a gross tonnage of 1742 and measuring 250.8 feet in length, the "Harland" was an iron three-massted full-rigged ship, built in 1885 by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton for W. Land of London.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0836

Harland in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0837

The "Harland" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, which was built in Stockton by Richardson, Duck and Co., in 1885 for the London company, W. Land.

She had a gross tonnage of 1742 and was 250.8 feet long. In 1889, she was bought by Stuart Bros., of Glasgow. On 9th May of that year, the "Harland" arrived in Dundee with a cargo of raw jute from Calcutta. The voyage had lasted 126 days.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0837

Harland in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0838

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows an iron three-masted full-rigged ship called the "Harland" on the south side of the Victoria Dock at Dundee harbour, where she is undergoing what Lloyd's Register calls her No. 1 Service.

Built in 1885 by the Stockton company, Richardson, Duck and Co., for W. Lund of London, the "Harland" was sold to Stuart Bros., of Glasgow, in 1889. She arrived in Dundee on 9th May 1889 with a load of jute from Calcutta.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0838

Hort Hill in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Hort Hill" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0840

The "Holt Hill" [Hort being a misreading] was an iron four-masted barque, built by W. H. Potter and Son, Liverpool, in 1884 for the Sailing Ship Holt Hill Co., Ltd., also of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2523 and measured 300 feet in length.

The Dundee amateur photographer, Alexander Wilson, took this picture a couple of weeks after the "Holt Hill" arrived in the city with a cargo of raw jute from Calcutta. Her voyage had lasted 125 days.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0840

Inchgarvie in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Inchgarvie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0841

The "Inchgarvie" was a Port Glasgow built steam lighter (and early style of puffer) registered at Dundee on 11th June 1900. She may have been in use on the Forth and Clyde Canal before this.

An entry in the Arrivals Book at Perth Harbour shows she discharged a load of potatoes on 24th March 1905 at Port Allen, near Errol. She was broken up at Perth in 1938.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0841
Syndicate content