Ships

Photographs depicting ships

Garry and Nile in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Garry" and "Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0881

The "Nile" was an iron four masted barque, built in 1886 by Russell and Co., Port Glasgow, for the Glasgow company, W Douglas. She measured 283.5 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 2163.

The "Garry" (the smaller steamship to the righthand side in front of the clock tower warehouse) was an iron screw steamer with a gross tonnage of 973 and measuring 217.9 feet in length.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0881

Pengwern and Nile in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Pengwern" and "Nile" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0882

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Pengwern" in Dundee Harbour, two weeks after she arrived from Calcutta with a cargo of jute for processing in the city's mills.

Built in 1882 by Russell and Co., of Greenock, for the D W Davies of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 1648 and measured 256.1 feet in length. Her voyage from Calcutta had lasted 145 days.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0882

Pengwern in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Pengwern" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0883

The "Pengwern" arrived in Dundee Harbour on 23rd July 1889, having spent 145 days at sea, transporting a cargo of jute from Calcutta. An iron three masted ship, she was built by Russell and Co., of Greenock, in 1882 for the Liverpool company, D W Davies.

She had a gross tonnage of 1648 and 256.1 feet in length. This photograph by Alexander Wilson records the only recorded visit of the "Pengwern" to Dundee, lying on the north side of the King William IV Dock.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0883

Madagascar in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Madagascar" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0860

A steel four masted barque, the "Madagascar" was built in 1888 at the Port Glasgow yard of Russell and Co., for J Boyd of Helensburgh. Measuring 282 feet in length, she had a gross tonnage of 2145.

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "Madagascar" a week after her first recorded visit to Dundee. She was at sea for 132 days (bringing 2000 tons of raw jute from the Bangladeshi port of Chittagong).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0860

Madagascar in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Madagascar" - in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0859

The "Madagascar" was a steel four masted barque, built by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, in 1888 for J Boyd of Helensburgh. She had a gross tonnage of 2145 and measrued 282 feet in length.

The "Madagascar" made two recorded visits to Dundee. On 13th May 1889, she brought 2000 tons of raw jute from Chittagong (in modern-day Bangladesh) after a voyage lasting 132 days. On 13th March 1890, she took only 124 days and brought 2077 tons.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0859

Madagascar in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Madagascar" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0861

The "Madagascar" was built in 1888 by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow, for the Helensburgh company, J Boyd. With a gross tonnage of 2145 and measuring 282 feet in length, she was a stell four masted barque.

This photograph was taken by the Dundee jute mill manager Alexander Wilson, one week after the "Madagascar" arrived in the city from Chittagong (in what is nowadays Bangladesh) with a cargo of 2000 tons of raw jute.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0861

Dovenby Hall and Madagascar in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Dovenby Hall" and "Madagascar" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0862

The "Madagascar" was a four masted steel barque with a gross tonnage of 2145 and measuring 282 feet in length; the "Dovenby Hall!" was an iron three masted ship with a gross tonnage of 2069 and was 280 feet in length. She was built in 1885 at Newcastle.

The "Dovenby Hall" arrived in Dundee on 10th May 1889 from Calcutta with a cargo of 1998 tons of jute, while the "Madagascar" arrived three days later from Chittagong with 2000 tons.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0862

Marlborough Hill in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Marlborough Hill" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0863

The "Marlborough Hill" was an iron four-masted barque, built by W. H. Potter and Sons of Liverpool in 1885 for the Sailing Ship Marlborough Hill Co., Ltd., also of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2531 and was 300.5 feet in length.

The "Marlborough Hill" made three recorded visits to Dundee: on 9th March 1888 and on 23rd February 1889, she brought 2443 tons of jute, and on 21st May 1892 she delivered 2363 tons, each time from Calcutta.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0863

Marlborough Hill in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Marlborough Hill" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0864

The "Marlborough Hill", an iron four-masted barque, was built in 1885 by W. H. Potter and Sons, of Liverpool, for the Sailing Ship Marlborough Hill Co., Ltd.,also of Liverpool. With a gross tonnage of 2531, she measured 300.5 feet in length.

The "Marlborough Hill" is known to have visited Dundee on at least three occasions, bringing raw jute from Calcutta on 9th March 1888 (three days before this photograph was taken), 23rd February 1889 and 21st May 1892.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0864

Maud in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Maud" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0865

Built as a sailing ship (wooden barque) by T. Turnbull and Sons of Whitby in 1865, the "Maud" was bought by William Adams in 1883 and converted into a whaling steamer in 1886. She had a gross tonnage of 298 and measured 116.7 feet in length.

Catches made by the "Maud" are recorded in the Dundee Yearbooks for 1889 (60 tons of oil and 50 cwt of whalebone from the Davis Straits), 1890 (100 tons of oil, 5.5 tons of bone), and 1891 (25 tons of oil, one of bone).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0865
Syndicate content