Ships

Photographs depicting ships

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0892

Built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, the "Puri" was launched on 19th October 1895 by Miss Bell of Dunfermline (Yard No. 165). She had a gross tonnage of 936.

She was intended as a pilgrim carrier between Calcutta and Chandballi, but was rapidly outmoded by the development of rail travel. She was finally scrapped in July 1910, and removed from registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0892

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0893

Weighing 936 tonnes, this twin screw steam ship was built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, for a company in Calcutta, India, which hoped to use it to ferry pilgrim passengers.

She was sold on in 1903 to Shepherd and Co., Bombay, when railway became the primary means of transport in the area. She was scrapped in July 1910. But only removed from shipping registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0893

Queen of England in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Queen of England" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0894

The three masted, full rigged, iron ship, "Queen of England" was built in 1885 by the Liverpool company, T Royden, for D Kennedy and Co., also of Liverpool. She had a gross tonnage of 2071 and measured 276 feet in length.

According to Lloyd's Register for 1893-94, "Queen of England" underwent a survey in Dundee. This photograph shows the vessel berthed on the north side of Victoria Dock.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0894

Ships in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

The original caption reads 'Queen of the Dart and Fairweather', which are the names of the two ships at the centre of this Alexander Wilson photograph. The "Fairweather" was a wooden steam paddle tug, with a registered tonnage of 14.

The "Queen of the Dart" was a wooden top-sail schooner, built in 1848 at Dartmouth. She was restored in 1866 and underwent significant repairs in 1875. Although registered in Aberdeen, she was owned by W. Galloway of Dundee for some time.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0895

Richard Porter in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Richard Porter" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0897

This photograph is something of a mystery in that no vessel called "Richard Porter" appears in Lloyd's Register for that date, yet contemporary newspaper reports state that she was in Dundee, but sailed six days before the given date.

The Dundee Advertiser reports her arrival on 20th May at the King William IV Dock, having brought 140 tons of kainite (a salt-based fertiliser) and 20 tons of straw from Hamburg. She sailed again on the 9th with a cargo of coal tar for Koenigsberg.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0897

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0898

The "Riga" in this photograph by Alexander Wilson (there were several vessels of that name in Lloyd's Register, but none seems to match) was a wooden two masted schooner, registered in the Norwegian port of Stavanger.

She is pictured in the north west corner of Dundee's King William IV Dock, near the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate the visit in 1844 of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0898

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0899

This photograph, which comes from the private collection of a Dundee jute factory manager, Alexander Wilson, shows a wooden two-masted schooner, the "Riga" in the north west corner of King William IV Docks in the city's harbour.

The other two vessels in the dock are unidentified, that at the lefthand side being a topsail schooner and the other an early puffer or coastal steamer. Behind them is Dock Street, with the City Assembly Rooms of 1828 just right of centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0899

Peter der Grosse in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Peter der Grosse" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0886

"Peter der Grosse" was an iron screw steamer, built at Kiel in 1872 for the Russian St Peterburger Dampfschifffahrtgesellschaft. She had a gross tonnage of 846 and measured 199 feet in length.

This photograph by the Dundee-based Alexander Wilson shows the "Peter der Grosse" in the Earl Grey Dock, alongside the twenty ton steam crane, which was possibly used to discharge the cargo of flax brought from Reval on two occasions in 1891.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0886

Perth in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Perth" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0885

The "Perth" shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph is the fourth of several ships thus named by the Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Company. Built by W B Thompson and Co., of Dundee, in 1890, she had a gross tonnage of 1729 and was 280 feet long.

She was renamed "Arbroath" in 1917, saw service in the Mediterranean during the 1st World War, was transferred to serve between Southampton and Le Havre, and finally sold to the British and South American Steam Navigation Co. in 1920.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0885

Pladda in Dundee Harbour

in
£8.25

"Pladda" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0887

The "Pladda" was an iron single screw steamship, built by Blackwood and Gordon, of Port Glasgow, in 1861 for the Dundee and Newcastle Steamship Co. She had a gross tonnage of 429 and measured 181.5 feet in length.

This photograph of the "Pladda", taken by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the vessel berthed in the Earl Grey Dock at Dundee Harbour, with the "Unicorn", supposedly still (in the year 2010) the oldest fighting ship still afloat.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0887
Syndicate content