Newport-on-Tay, Bay and Ferry landing - Ref: WC3038
Newport-on-Tay, bay and ferry landing. In the early 1800s the ferry service to both Newport and Woodhaven were thriving. In 1816 92,000 passengers used the Newport crossing.
In 1821 the first steamship "the Union"was introduced . In 1823 work started on a new pier to design of Thomas Telford. The ferries were looked after by the Tay Ferries Trust.