Docks/Dry Docks

Photographs depicting dry docks

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0892

Built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, the "Puri" was launched on 19th October 1895 by Miss Bell of Dunfermline (Yard No. 165). She had a gross tonnage of 936.

She was intended as a pilgrim carrier between Calcutta and Chandballi, but was rapidly outmoded by the development of rail travel. She was finally scrapped in July 1910, and removed from registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0892

Puri in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Puri" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0893

Weighing 936 tonnes, this twin screw steam ship was built by Gourlay Bros., and Co., of Dundee, for a company in Calcutta, India, which hoped to use it to ferry pilgrim passengers.

She was sold on in 1903 to Shepherd and Co., Bombay, when railway became the primary means of transport in the area. She was scrapped in July 1910. But only removed from shipping registers in 1914.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0893

Lass o' Gowrie in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Lass o' Gowrie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0851

The "Lass o' Gowrie" was a 138 ton iron paddle steamer, built in 1883 by J T Eltringham of South Shields for David Edwards, a well-known Dundonian sea captain. She ran a route from Dundee to Perth via Newburgh.

This photograph, shows the "Lass o' Gowrie" in the Tidal Basin at Dundee Harbour, berthed near a warehouse called Stephens Buildings.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0851

Flying Eagle in docks, Dundee

£8.25

"Flying Eagle" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0827

The "Flying Eagle" was a twin screw steel steam tug, built by the Dundee firm, W. B. Thompson and Co., Ltd., in 1890 for the Clyde Shipping Co., of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 347 and measured 145 feet in length.

She had a large bunker capacity, which allowed her to tow in deep sea conditions. She is seen here in the West Graving Dock around the time of her sea trials. The spire of Dundee's St Paul's Cathedral can be seen at the righthand side.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0827

Euterpe, Ardencraig, Blythswood and Nile in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Euterpe", "Ardencraig", "Blythswood" and "Nile" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0820

Four of the five vessels in this Alexander Wilson photograph are recognisable from other views in his collection. The "Euterpe", the "Ardencraig", the "Blythswood" and the "Nile". The fifth is a full-rigged three-masted ship, probably the "Indore"

The "Ardencraig" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Russell and Co., of Greenock in 1886 for Edmiston and Mitchells of Glasgow. Her gross tonnage was 2153 and she was 277.7 feet long.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0820

Flying Eagle in docks, Dundee

£8.25

"Flying Eagle" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0824

The "Flying Eagle" was a twin screw steel steam tug, built by W. B. Thompson and Co., Ltd., of Dundee in 1890 for the Clyde Shipping Company. This Alexander Wilson photograph shows her in the West Graving Dock around the time of her sea trials.

She had a gross tonnage of 347 and was 145 feet long. She had large bunker capacity for deep sea towage work. After several changes of name, the "Flying Eagle" became the "Express" and was based in Alexandria.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0824

Ships, Dundee

£8.25

Ships, Dundee - Ref: WC3656


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3656

Ships, Dundee

£8.25

Ships, Dundee - Ref: WC3659


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3659

Ships, Dundee

£8.25

Ships, Dundee - Ref: WC3662


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3662

Ships, Dundee

£8.25

Ships, Dundee - Ref: WC3663


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3663
Syndicate content