Whitehall Crescent/Street

Photographs depicting Whitehall Crescent and Street

Inchgarvie in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Inchgarvie" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0841

The "Inchgarvie" was a Port Glasgow built steam lighter (and early style of puffer) registered at Dundee on 11th June 1900. She may have been in use on the Forth and Clyde Canal before this.

An entry in the Arrivals Book at Perth Harbour shows she discharged a load of potatoes on 24th March 1905 at Port Allen, near Errol. She was broken up at Perth in 1938.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0841

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, south side, Whitehall Street, Dundee - Ref: WC3357


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3357

Union Street and Whitehall Crescent, Dundee

£8.25

Union Street and Whitehall Crescent, Dundee - Ref: WC3368


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3368

Whitehall Cresent, Dundee

£8.25

Whitehall Crescent, Dundee - Ref: WC3371


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3371

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, south side, Whitehall Street to Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC3356


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3356

Vault. Town Hall, Dundee

£8.25

Vault, Town Hall, Dundee - Ref: WC2142


Dundee's first church St Clement's was abandoned after the building of St Mary's in the Fields (City Churches). The site and its kirkyard, known as the Vault, became first a tolbooth and was then given over to building.

The Vault is no longer there. On the site today are Whitehall Crescent and the City Square. In the photograph the clock tower of the Town House can be seen. This building is also no longer there. It was demolished in 1932.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2142

Whitehall Close, Dundee

£8.25

Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1898


There was a persistent rumour, now largely discredited, that Whitehall Close was once the site of a Royal residence. The residence was supposedly built for King Malcolm III and his wife Margaret in 1070.

Whitehall Close did, however, contain several interesting pieces of old decorated masonry which are now housed in the Old Steeple. Whitehall Close became a slum area in the 19th century and has since been demolished.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1898

Coat of Arms, Whitehall Close, Dundee

£8.25

Coat of Arms, Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1814

This sculpture of a Coat of Arms is now housed in the Old Steeple in Dundee along with other rescued pieces of inscribed masonry. It formerly decorated a building in the Nethergate at the entrance to Whitehall Close.

The Coat of Arms belongs to Charles II. It shows the Tudor Badge as well as the emblems and arms of Scotland, England, Ireland and France. It dates, as can be clearly seen, from 1660.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1814

Coat of Arms, Whitehall Close, Dundee

£8.25

Coat of Arms carved in stone in Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1816

This extremely detailed Coat of Arms dating from 1660 belonged to Charles II. It depicts the Tudor badge as well as the emblems and arms of Scotland, England, Ireland and France.

It once decorated a building in the Nethergate at the entrance to Whitehall Close. This Coat of Arms, along with other pieces of decorated masonry, are now housed in Dundee's Old Steeple.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1816

Carved Adam and Eve in Whitehall Close, Dundee

£8.25

Carved Adam and Eve in Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1817


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1817
Syndicate content