Ward Road

Photographs depicting Ward Road

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0411


This photograph shows the north side of Dundee's Meadowside which stands opposite the Howff graveyard, taken from somewhere near the north end of Reform Street.

Though none of the buildings is clearly enough marked in this view, the Dundee Directory reveal that they included Thomas Cuthbert's coachworks in the distance, the Police & Water Commissioner's Office (treasurer James Smith, cashier Finlay Farquharson);

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0411

General Post Office, Dundee

£8.25

General Post Office, Dundee - Ref: WC0373


This photograph shows the Post Office which stood at the junctions of Dundee's Meadowside and Euclid Crescent, with the fence and bushes in the grounds of Dundee High School to the right.

The postmaster in 1902, shortly before the area was redeveloped for D. C. Thomson to plans by to plans by Niven & Wigglesworth, a London company, was George H. Gibb, who lived at Hermonhill in Perth Road.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0373

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0375


Constitution Road leads steeply northwards to the left of this photograph of Dundee's Meadowside, which reads west to east, left to right.

Thomas Cuthbert was the founder of a coachworks business which originated in Perth. By 1892, the company had been in Meadowside for a dozen years, under the management of George Cuthbert.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0375

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0376


In this photograph, Dundee's Meadowside leads to the east and right, with Constitution Road at the left and the Howff graveyard on the right.

Cuthbert's Coachbuilding works was established in Dundee by George Cuthbert, a native of Perth. The Meadowside works opened in 1880, and were the largest such premises in North-East Scotland at the time.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0376

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0377


This photograph reads west to east from left to right with the south end of Dundee's Constitution Road at the left at the junction with the west end of Meadowside.

The cart is standing outside the offices at No. 8 of the Police and Water Commission. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection has financial records and minutes of meeting of the Commission in the 1870s.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0377

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0355


Thomas Cuthbert's coachbuilding business was based at No. 4 Meadowside (as it was then known), at the junction with Constitution Road.

This section, which faces the Howff grave yard, is now called Ward Road.

The adjacent building (with posters covering the wall space between the door and windows) was the Police & Water Commissioners Office, treasurer James Smith, cashier Finlay Farquharson.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0355
Syndicate content