Ward Road

Photographs depicting Ward Road

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0679


The south side of Ward Road in Dundee is seen in this Alexander Wilson photograph, with the junction with Barrack Street, which leads southwards to Overgate, just to the east and left.

The lower buildings at the left were the auction rooms of Robert Curr at No. 10. These were demolished to make way for the Barrack Street Museum, opened by Andrew Carnegie, who financed the building, in 1911. The design was by James Thomson.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0679

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0680


Strictly speaking, this photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the north side of the western section of Meadowside. It was only renamed Ward Road at a later date (perhaps when the new Post Office was built in 1898?)

In the foreground is the Howff graveyard, an ancient burial ground, the land granted to the Greyfriars for that purpose by Mary Queen of Scots in 1564. The west wall (unseen) features blind arcading, which may originally have been open archways.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0680

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0681


This photograph shows the north side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Rattray Street running to the north and left, and Nicoll Street further to the east. The church in the foreground was Wesleyan Methodist, built in around 1866 with seating for over 700.

Designed by David Mackenzie, the building had a large schoolroom, a vestry and three classrooms below. By the year 2000, the lower portion had been converted to a public house and the main church into a night club.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0681

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0682


This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Dundee's Ward Road, looking east towards Meadowside, with Rattray Street leading north to the left. The church at the left was the Ward Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which has since become a night club.

Beyond the office blocks of Rattray Street is Nicoll Street. The block there includes Nicoll and Son, iron, steel and copper merchants, listed at Nos. 1-5 Ward Road. Then is Constitution Road, with Thomas Cuthbert's coachworks at the south end.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0682

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0672


This photograph technically shows the north side of the western section of Dundee's Meadowside. It was remained Ward Road at some time in the 20th century. The city's Howff graveyard stands to the south, visible here at the righthand side.

T.C. Cuthbert's Coachbuilding works was established in Dundee by George Cuthbert, a native of Perth. The Meadowside works opened in 1880, and were the largest such premises in North-East Scotland at the time. It was replaced by the new Post Office.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0672

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0673


This photograph shows the junction of Ward Road in Dundee with Constitution Road, leading north to the right and Barrack Street sharply to the left and south. Behind the viewer is the Howff graveyard and a road which was then called Meadowside.

Nicoll and Sons, the iron and steel merchants, are listed as Nos. 1-5 Ward Road in the Dundee Directory, which adds copper merchants to their description. Up Constitution Road is Ward Road Congregational Chapel, built in 1883 to designs by J. Brewster.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0673

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0674


This photograph shows the western end of what was then known as Meadowside, at the junction with the south end of Constitution Road, which runs steeply north, opposite Barrack Street. It is now the site of W.W. Robertson's Post Office of 1898.

T.C. Cuthbert, the yard at No. 4 Meadowside, was one of the leading coachbuilding works in Scotland, George Cuthbert being among to first to build railway carriages in this country. The manager at this time, another George, lived at No. 6 Dudhope Place.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0674

Ward Road, Dundee (south side)

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0676


This photograph from Dundee Central Library's Alexander Wilson Collection shows the south side of Dundee's Ward Road, from the junction with Barrack Street, running south at the left-hand side. The Ward Road Baptist Church of 1894 is at the left.

The Water Commissioners' yard is at No. 14, while the Ward Street Gymnasium is next door. The library's Lamb Collection 116 (20) contains a circular to encourage the patronage of Dundee's newly-combined gymnastic clubs among the well-to-do.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0676

Ward Road, Dundee (north side)

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0677


This photograph shows the north side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Rattray Street running north at the lefthand side and Nicoll Street, running parallel to the right.

The Ward Road Wesleyan Chapel (seen to the left) was built in 1866 next to Messrs. Gilroy's large warehouses on the site of the old Newtyle Railway Station. It was designed to seat over 700 people (including galleries). Below were several classrooms.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0677

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0678


This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the south side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Barrack Street just to the left (and east) of the shot and North Lindsay Street in the west.

The Ward Road Baptist Church is at the lefthand side, built in 1894. The next building housed the Water Commission's Yard. Then comes the Ward Road Gymnasium, which was built during the period 1890-1. Gymnastics were far more popular then than now.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0678
Syndicate content