Overgate

Photographs depicting the Overgate

High Street and Tally Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street and Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC4169


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4169

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC3343


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3343

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC3360


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3360

High Street and Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

High Street and Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC3341


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3341

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, north side, Dundee - Ref: WC2140

The street Thorter Row, seen in this photograph of the Overgate, dates back to the fifteenth century. The street name is possibly a corruption of the word "athwart" as it ran between the High Street and Overgate.

The shops seen in the photograph include, on the corner, Mrs William Stewart's, bootmaker. On the other side, S Nathan, jeweller and a wholesale warehouse belonging to J A Lalor.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2140

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1883

St Mary's Tower, more popularly known as the Old Steeple, is one of Dundee's oldest buildings. It dates back to the late 15th century. The Steeple has had a very interesting and varied history. It has been used as a watch-tower and a prison. It is also a belfry and from the 16th century, a clock tower.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1883

Old Hall behind St Mary's Tower, Dundee

£8.25

Old Hall behind St Mary's Tower, Dundee - Ref: WC1892


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1892

School Wynd, U.F. Church, 6 South Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

School Wynd, U.F. Church, 6 South Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1800

The church in this photograph was built in 1825. It replaced an earlier church, built in1746, which had been located to the north of this church. In 1876 an organ was installed and the interior was renovated in 1888.

George Gilfillan was minister of this church for 42 years from 1836 until 1878. The building seen on the left in the photograph was the premises of Alex. Birnie, photographic dealer.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1800

Decorations in Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Decorations in Nethergate, Opposite Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1783

It is possible these decorations were put up to celebrate the coronation of Edward VII which took place on 9th August, 1902. Dundee, as elsewhere, celebrated any royal event with great enthusiasm, holding parades and banquets as well as decorating buildings.

Tally Street, the street sign can be seen on the left above the premises of Reis, sellers of fancy goods, is no longer there. The recently modernised Overgate Shopping Centre now stands on the site.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1783

Royal visit decorations, High Street, Dundee

£8.25

Royal visit decorations, High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1678

View of High Street/bottom of Overgate.

Photograph shows the Dundee Institute for the Blind shop in the background with sign for the Dundee Arms above. The Dundee Arms advertised a balcony to let for viewing the procession

The cost of the new Hospital was £50,000.00 which was raised by subscription. Those who subscribed were given tickets of admission to the lawn in front of the Hospital to see the opening ceremony.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1678
Syndicate content