Nethergate

Photographs depicting the Nethergate

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1409

View of City Churches from Nethergate looking towards South Lindsay Street Dundee. The City Churches (St Mary's, St Pauls, St Clements & The Old Steeple were originally 1 Church). Information taken from "The Parish & The Burgh Churches of Dundee" by James Rollo. Earliest mention of Dundee Parish Church is in the First Charter of Lindores Abbey before 1198.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1409

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1412

In this photograph the Tower of St Mary's, popularly known as the Old Steeple, can be seen. Dating back to the 1480s the steeple has had a long and turbulent history. It has served as a watch-tower, a stronghold, and a prison as well as being a belfry and clock tower.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1412

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1376

There has been a church on this site in Dundee since the 12th century when the Earl of Huntingdon built a church in gratitude for his deliverance from a fierce storm while returning from the Crusades. This first church was destroyed by Edward I in 1303.

Rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the churches endured a turbulent but interesting history. In 1841 a terrible fire destroyed the churches. The Old Steeple, fortunately survived this calamity. The churches were rebuilt as they are seen today.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1376

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1395

From 1789 until 1841 Dundee was in the unusual position of having four separate churches under one roof. Known collectively as the City Churches they shared one tower, the Old Steeple.

These churches comprised of the original St Mary's, the South Kirk, the North or Cross Kirk and St Clement's Kirk. A devastating fire in 1841 destroyed the churches. The Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1395

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1377

As can be seen in this photograph there was a horse cab rank situated on the road in front of Dundee's City Churches and Old Steeple. The City Churches and Old Steeple, which is more properly known as St Mary's Tower, have had a long and very interesting history.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1377

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1378

The Gothic style St Mary's Tower was built in the late 15th century. More popularly known to Dundonians as the Old Steeple, it has endured a turbulent and interesting history, including being fortified by the English, who had captured Dundee, in the mid 1540s, and used in an unsuccessful siege against General Monk in 1651.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1378

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1379

The City Churches and Old Steeple are among Dundee's best known landmarks. The Old Steeple dates back to the late 15th century. It is 160 feet tall and has 232 steps. It has been a forified tower, a prison, a belfry and a clock tower in its long turbulent history.

The Old Steeple survived the terrible fire of 1841 which destroyed the City Churches. More recently, the Old Steeple has been reopened to the public where it is proving to be a very popular attraction to locals and tourists alike.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1379

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1380

Dundee already had a church, St Clement's, when David, Earl of Huntingdon, built the Church of St Mary in gratitude for survivng a fierce storm on his return from the Crusades in the 12th century. There has been a church on this site since that time. St Clement's has long gone, now the site of the City Square.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1380

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1381

This photograph shows the Old Steeple and City Churches on a winters day. Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The very first church was built by David, Earl of Huntingdon,. This chuurch was destroyed by the forces of Edward I of England, the Hammer of the Scots.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1381

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1382

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The first church, dedicated to St Mary, was built by David, Earl of Huntingdon. He was the brother of King William the Lion of Scotland. This church was destroyed by Edward Ist, of England.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1382
Syndicate content