Nethergate

Photographs depicting the Nethergate

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1416

This is the west doorway to the Tower of St Mary Dundee (now St Clement's Church). Description of the architecture can be found in Guide Book to the Old Steeple of Dundee.

The entrance consists of two round arched doorways 8'11" high within a larger elliptical arch. The arch mouldings are foliage. The carving in the circular panel is of the Virgin and Child, below is a Shield with the Arms of the Diocese of Brechin.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1416

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1397

The entrance to St Pauls Church is shown. A fourth burgh church was needed due to the increase in population and in 1823 the Town Council purchased Mr Haldane's Tabernacle and it was called St David's Church and situated near the West Port.

This Church remained in existence until 1947 when part of the roof collapsed. St David's amalgamated with St Pauls and the church became knows as Old St Paul's and St Davids. This is now the Mary Slessor Centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1397

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1417

In this photograph the intricately carved stonework around the double doorway of the late 15th century Old Steeple can be seen. Technically, the building is not a steeple but a tower. Its correct name is St Mary's Tower, however, few Dundonians would recognise this formal name.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1417

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1398

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original church, called St Mary's, was destroyed by Edward Ist, (Hammer of the Scots), in 1303. Eventually rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the church and steeple have endured a turbulent history.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1398

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1418

Photograph from Alexander Wilson Collection. Ornate entrance to Old Steeple. Half round entrance with 2 doors. Figure in foreground is possibly T. Waddell Caretaker.

Notice Board at entrance."Old Steeple is open during months of May June & July from 12 noon till 8pm and during August and September from 12 noon till 6pm. Other times apply to Keeper on Church grounds. Admission 1p. Keeper T.Waddell.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1418

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1399

The church was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon and Prince of Scotland, brother of King William the Lion, First of Scotland after being saved from shipwreck in sight of Dundee returning from the 3rd Crusade with Richard First of England in 1189.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1399

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1419

Entrance to Old Steeple. Figure in foreground is possibly T.Waddell the caretaker. The Tower was restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott and cost £8,750.00. This sum was met by subscription from Dundee inhabitants and from the Common Good Fund.

Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep & secret stronghold. Mid 17th century the Tower was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1419

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1400

The first mention of the Tower in Burgh records was in 1540 when it was decided to replace the clock in the Steeple. The work as finished on Palm Sunday 1543.

Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and Secret stronghold. In the mid 17th century it was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1400

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1420

View of churches looking south from South Lindsay Street Dundee. Shops in the picture give a good idea of the variety of goods on sale. John Watson Tailor & Clothier: Item on sale in window from 21/6d to 22/6d. Notice on wall: 4 rooms to Let - I B Murray 42 Barrack Street.

Wm Low & Co - Window display "Lindsay & Lows (Prize Medal) Jams & Jellies: Celebrated Bread & Cakes. J B Lawson Wine Merchant Overgate/Lindsay Street Dundee. Bar on opposite side of the street from Churches. (possibly George Martin Spirit Merchant)

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1420

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1401

Earliest mention of Dundee Parish Church is in the First Charter of Lindores Abbey before 1198. The first mention of the Tower in Burgh records was in 1540.

In 1716 on 2nd October a decree announced that any member of the Town Council not attending church on the Sabbath without a relevant excuse would be find 12 shillings Scots and for being late by fifteen minutes would be fined 6 shillings Scots

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1401
Syndicate content