Nethergate

Photographs depicting the Nethergate

St Enoch's Established Church, Dundee

£8.25

St Enoch's Established Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1447


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1447

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1414

This photograph shows the Old Steeple viewed from Nethergate at the bottom of South Lindsay Street Dundee. The Old Steeple was restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott at a cost of £8,780. The money being raised from subscriptions from Dundee inhabitants and the Common Good Fund of Dundee.

In South Lindsay Street are the shops of Birnies Scientific Maker (a pair of spectacles used as an advertisement over the door) and John Kirk, Boot Manufacturer and General Merchant. Tram lines are shown in the Nethergate.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1414

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1396

Up to 1560 seating was not provided in Churches. Worshippers were expected to stand. After the fire in 1560 desks were erected for Burgesses and their wives and some stools, chairs etc were provided. After the last fire in 1841 seating was provided when the building was rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1396

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1416

This is the west doorway to the Tower of St Mary Dundee (now St Clement's Church). Description of the architecture can be found in Guide Book to the Old Steeple of Dundee.

The entrance consists of two round arched doorways 8'11" high within a larger elliptical arch. The arch mouldings are foliage. The carving in the circular panel is of the Virgin and Child, below is a Shield with the Arms of the Diocese of Brechin.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1416

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1397

The entrance to St Pauls Church is shown. A fourth burgh church was needed due to the increase in population and in 1823 the Town Council purchased Mr Haldane's Tabernacle and it was called St David's Church and situated near the West Port.

This Church remained in existence until 1947 when part of the roof collapsed. St David's amalgamated with St Pauls and the church became knows as Old St Paul's and St Davids. This is now the Mary Slessor Centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1397

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1417

In this photograph the intricately carved stonework around the double doorway of the late 15th century Old Steeple can be seen. Technically, the building is not a steeple but a tower. Its correct name is St Mary's Tower, however, few Dundonians would recognise this formal name.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1417

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1398

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original church, called St Mary's, was destroyed by Edward Ist, (Hammer of the Scots), in 1303. Eventually rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the church and steeple have endured a turbulent history.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1398

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1418

Photograph from Alexander Wilson Collection. Ornate entrance to Old Steeple. Half round entrance with 2 doors. Figure in foreground is possibly T. Waddell Caretaker.

Notice Board at entrance."Old Steeple is open during months of May June & July from 12 noon till 8pm and during August and September from 12 noon till 6pm. Other times apply to Keeper on Church grounds. Admission 1p. Keeper T.Waddell.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1418

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1399

The church was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon and Prince of Scotland, brother of King William the Lion, First of Scotland after being saved from shipwreck in sight of Dundee returning from the 3rd Crusade with Richard First of England in 1189.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1399

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1419

Entrance to Old Steeple. Figure in foreground is possibly T.Waddell the caretaker. The Tower was restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott and cost £8,750.00. This sum was met by subscription from Dundee inhabitants and from the Common Good Fund.

Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep & secret stronghold. Mid 17th century the Tower was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1419
Syndicate content