Nethergate

Photographs depicting the Nethergate

Decorations in Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Decorations on Albion House, Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC1786

Albion House, on the corner of Union Street and the Nethergate, was started by William Moon and John Langlands, drapers. There followed many changes of ownership and control.

Thomas Blakeney bought the premises but then moved to a larger site in Whitehall Street. The shop then became, William Menzies, drapers. More recently it has been a bank.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1786

Decorations in Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Decorations in Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC1787

In this photograph of the Nethergate the City Churches can just be seen through the trees on the left. The small drinking fountain on the corner is no longer there.

The shops on the other side of the street include Arthur A. Miller's, furriers. Animal pelts have been used to decorate his premises. On the right is A. Soutar, jewellers. The gable end of the Royal Hotel is also visible.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1787

Coronation decorations, Dundee

£8.25

Coronation decorations, Dundee - Ref: WC1700

View of Nethergate at the foot of South Lindsay Street.

Photograph shows highly decorated building on the corner of Nethergate and South Lindsay Street. The building is a Teeth Institute run by A Davie. In front is a small boy with a hoop. Birnies Photographic Apparatus shop next door in South Lindsay Street.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1700

Two small girls in front of Old Steeple, Dundee

£8.25

Two small girls in front of Old Steeple, Dundee - Ref: WC1713


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1713

Royal visit decorations, Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Royal visit decorations, Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC1665

Photograph from Alexander Wilson Collection. View of Nethergate looking east

View of tenements with shops at street level. Shops are G. Hill & Co. Shirtmaker, J. Falconer, Ironmonger with what could be shopkeeper and 2 boys standing in doorway, J & P Campbell, Dye Works, No 29 Edward Wilson & Sons cabinetmakers, No 27 I Dunn, Game Dealer & Poulterer. Church on far right.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1665

Royal visit decorations, Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Royal visit decorations, Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC1667

View of the Nethergate looking east

Photograph shows large banner with bunting strung across the street. Also show M S Mart - (no 79) Tobacco & Fancy Goods With a group of men standing in front of the shop and a boy with a basket on his head. Also a policeman walking in the road (shows the type of uniform worn at that time). The Dundee City Police Sports day in 1899 - had to be cancelled due to the Royal Visit.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1667

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee

£8.25

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee - Ref: WC1692


Photograph from Alexander Wilson Photographic Collection. View of the Nethergate from outside what is now Littlewoods looking towards Union Street.

Photograph shows Rattray, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Albion House and Wm Philip Ironmonger. In celebration of the Jubilee Dundee Celtic Club will hold a Highland Gathering and Games in the Barrack Park on Saturday 11 June 1887

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1692

Royal visit decoration, Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Royal visit decoration, Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC1664

View of the Nethergate looking west

Lots of decorations and bunting on view with crowds of people thronging the streets. J B Hurrie Millinery & Clothing Shop in the picture. Many of the ladies appear to be wearing straw boaters.

Notice in Dundee Advertiser 16/8/1899. "Lord Provost H McGrady and Town Clerk Thos Thornton have declared a Public Holiday on Saturday 26 August 1899 for the Royal visit to open the Victoria Hospital for Incurables and unveil the statue of Queen Victoria"

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1664

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1442

There has been a church on this site in Dundee since the 12th century when David, Earl of Huntingdon founded the first St Mary's Church. This original church was destroyed in 1303. Eventually rebuilt the churches have endured a turbulent, interesting history.

In this photograph of the City Churches, the magnificent windows of St Mary's Church can be seen. Rebuilt after the devastating fire of January,1841, the Churches and Old Steeple remain today familiar landmarks in Dundee.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1442

St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

£8.25

St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1444

St Andrews Roman Catholic Church opened on the 7th August, 1836. Designed by architect, George Mathewson, the Gothic styled church has a magnificent interior. It has a deceptively narrow looking frontage as it can actually seat about 1,200.

The halls in the basement were once used as the only Catholic school in the city. The passing horse and cart have an advertisement on the side for a circus. The wording reads,"Tonight. A Night in China."

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1444
Syndicate content