Nethergate

Photographs depicting the Nethergate

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0342

This photograph looks west along Nethergate to the left, with the south end of Lindsay Street leading right past the Old Steeple, here enclosed by railings.

The spire at the extreme left is that of St Enoch's United Reform church.

The "Established 1842" sign on Dr Stewart's dentistry is poetic licence. When John Stewart arrived in Dundee after a period working abroad, he joined Messrs. Lothian & Chatham, which was founded in that year,

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0342

Key's Close, Dundee

£8.25

Key's Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0325


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0325

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0256


This photograph shows the south side of Nethergate, with the Whitehall Street junction slightly left (and east) of centre. It was originally captioned High Street, reflecting a general confusion of where one ends and the other begins.

Moon, Langlands & Co. are last listed in Albion House, No. 40 Nethergate, in the Dundee Directory for 1886-87. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes sales catalogues for 1880 and 1881.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0256

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0260


Though originally captioned High Street, this photograph shows the southern side of Nethergate. The twin spires are at the eastern end of the High Street (the Town House to the left and St Paul's Episcopal Church to the right).

It was probably taken in 1888, since the shop at the top of Whitehall Street is still Moon, Landlands & Co., which was sold by the proprietor S. Blakeney on his retirement to Draffen & Jarvie.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0260

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0227

This photograph shows the eastern end of Dundee High Street, with "General Monk's House" with the round tower, just right of centre.

Overgate leads off to the right, and Nethergate to the left.

Whytock the jeweller and goldsmith is the familiar business on the corner, with Nathan & Co., silversmith, jeweller, optician and watchmaker next door at No. 47.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0227
Syndicate content