City Churches, East Side, Dundee - Ref: WC1873
Dundee's City Churches were devasted by fire in January, 1841. Tragically, a library containing over 1800 books, including many ancient works, were also lost. Fortunately the 15th century Tower of St Mary's, better known as the Old Steeple, survived.
The churches were rebuilt. Today they consist of St Mary's Parish Church, the Steeple Church and the Mary Slessor Community Centre. Mary Slessor was a famous missionary with connections to Dundee.