Meadowside

Photographs depicting Meadowside

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, east side, Dundee - Ref: WC3344


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3344

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC2119

This photograph of the south side of Meadowside shows the Eastern Club, which opened on 2nd May 1870.

The Wellgate Library's Lamb Collection (Box 118) holds many financial reports and Rules & Regulations for the Club, which was demolished to make way for what is now the Lloyds TSB bank.

Also in Lamb 118(7) is a list of wines, etc., including Medaille d'Or 1874 champagne at 12 shillings and sixpence (63p) per bottle, and Dublin Guinness at threepence (2p) a pint.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2119

Meadowside, Dundee

£8.25

Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC2124

This photograph shows a building referred to on early Dundee insurance plans as Meadow House, which stands on Meadowside between Panmure Street to the south (and right) and Meadow Street to the north.

In 1896, it was home to the Dundee Warehousing Co., and the Equitable Fire & Accident Offices, which were both managed by W. F. Soutar, who are listed in the Dundee Directory as jute merchants. William F. Soutar lived at Annfield in Carnoustie.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2124

High School. Boys, Dundee

£8.25

High School. Boys, Dundee - Ref: WC2135

The High School's magnificent eight-columned Doric portico can be clearly seen in this photograph. The school in Euclid Crescent was built in 1824. The architect was George Angus.

Originally called "The Seminaries" it became known as the High School in 1859. A girls school was built in 1890. Today (2001) the High School is a mixed fee-paying school.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2135

Savings Bank, Euclid Street, Dundee

£8.25

Savings Bank, Euclid Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1771


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1771

Court House, Dundee

£8.25

Court House, Dundee - Ref: WC1757


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1757

India Buildings, Bell Street, Dundee

£8.25

India Buildings, Bell Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1763


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1763

Pearl Assurance Buildings, Dundee

£8.25

Pearl Assurance Buildings, Dundee - Ref: WC1767

Pearl Assurance Buildings (left) and St Andrew's Free Church (right).


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1767

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee

£8.25

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee - Ref: WC1695

Photograph from Andrew Wilson Photographic Collection. View of what is now TSB building in Meadowside with ornate railings enclosing the gardens and buildings in Albert Square.

Provost Ballingall provided (and paid) for a cake and wine banquet in the Picture Gallery for everyone in the procession (250) as the majority of the Town Council declined to allow any public funds to be expended on refreshments

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1695

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee

£8.25

Victoria Diamond Jubilee decorations, Dundee - Ref: WC1696

Photograph from Andrew Wilson Photographic Collection. View of buildings in Meadowside from near the top of Reform Street.

Ex Baillie Moncur gave a dinner to about 1300 poor of the town in the Volunteer Drill Hall. They were served by about 250 workers. Messrs Lamb provided the dinner of beefsteak pies, potatoes and Jubilee pudding.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1696
Syndicate content